Nutrition & Dietetics Neurology
The dietitians of North Bristol NHS Trust provide a neurology clinic at Frenchay hospital which is held twice per month on Thursday afternoons.
Referrals are received from the neurology consultants.
Patients who attend this clinic are likely to have been diagnosed with one of the following neurological conditions:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Huntingdon’s Disease
- Motor Neurone Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP)
- Wilson’s Disease
The dietitian’s role is to assess, educate and support.
When you attend your appointment the specialist neurology dietitian will:
- Ask you about your medical condition, medications, investigations and symptoms
- Assess your weight and monitor weight changes
- Assess your current diet and fluid intake, ensuring that any nutritional deficiences and identified
- Advise on methods of promoting/reducing weight or reducing symptoms
- Recommend nutritional supplementation as appropriate
- Provide information on alternative methods of feeding such as via a gastrostomy (PEG/RIG) tube
- Provide a link between you, your GP, allied health professional and consultant
Further information can be found at the British Dietetic Association website.
Contact Nutrition & Dietetics
Gate 10, Level 6, Brunel building, Southmead Hospital Bristol
Telephone: 0117 4145428