Device Development | Device Evaluation | Expert Opinion
Our focus is research and innovation for urinary incontinence, developing new products and treatment protocols to improve continence care.
With our collaborators, we aim to raise the profile of this common but hidden aspect of healthcare by:
- engaging in a collaborative research programme to further scientific and medical understanding of the condition.
- reducing the recurrent complications of long-term catheterisation through the design and development of a new range of user-friendly devices and improved treatment protocols.
- developing a database of people with long-term catheters to involve users in research and innovation, improve their access to clinical trials and gather information that will lead to a better understanding of their needs (conforming with Data Protection Act 1998).
- promoting continence training for healthcare professionals
The BUI-BioMed can provide a wide range of services to others interested in reducing the burden of intractable urinary incontinence
Expert Opinion, Advice and Consultancy
Clinical and scientific experts with national or international standing in a field of urinary incontinence are associated with the BUI, and are able to offer consultancy services.
- Brunel University
- Devices for Dignity HTC (D4D), Sheffield
- Southampton University
- University of West of England
- University of Bristol
- University of Newcastle
Achieving urinary continence: the challenge
With an estimated 3% of the population suffering from incontinence, and a cost to the NHS of around £500 million per annum, this is a substantial medical, social and economic problem.
Many aspects of care for older and disabled people have advanced dramatically in recent years but the palliative management of intractable urinary incontinence has not progressed in line with these. To date there is no effective or acceptable alternative to the catheter and bag for people with intractable urinary incontinence that does not involve major surgery. Our aim is to change this situation.