Acute Medical Unit Nurse
Our Acute Medical Team specialises in the initial management of adult patients attending with emergency and acute medical conditions. The Acute Medical Unit (AMU) at Southmead Hospital, based in the Emergency Zone of the Brunel building, is a dynamic, progressive and growing unit.
Our AMU has various functions:
Gate 31B - AMU Assessment (32 beds)
- Two 4 bedded bays used as enhanced triage bays for new patients
- 24 side rooms for initial clinical assessment, investigation and treatment.
Gate 31A - (24 beds)
- Ambulatory Emergency Care Unit (AEC)- consisting of a triage bay and 3 consultation rooms and 2 treatment/observation rooms
- AMU Enhanced Care Unit (ECU)- two 4 bedded bays dedicated to the management of high acuity patients requiring intensive monitoring, nursing interventions and medical management including Non-Invasive Ventilation.
AMU Short Stay
- 16 side rooms for patients whose hospital admission is expected to be less than 48 hours who benefit from ongoing care and clinical expertise of the Acute Medicine Team.
Why work with us?
Working as a Nurse within our AMU Department offers a fantastic opportunity to take a role with:
- Professional development - the department is passionate about offering internal and external training for career progression and our nurses have access to an award winning in-house Practice Development Nurse
- Variety - Rotation between the different areas within the AMU department enables the development of new skills in a structured and supported environment
- Opportunities to work in an established award winning team- the AMU department won the Nursing team award in the 2016 Nursing Director Awards. Our Clinical Matron has also been nominated in the Inspirational Leader category in our Exceptional Healthcare Awards
- Fantastic facilities - You will be based in the Brunel building at Southmead which has been named the best designed large hospital internationally at the European Healthcare Awards.
The unit is staffed by a dynamic, enthusiastic and dedicated team of nursing staff, including a large team of Band 7 and Band 6 nurses. We want to push further and extend the scope of our work, by liaising closely with other specialist teams within Southmead Hospital, such as Maternity Services. We are looking for experienced and committed nurses to join us in this journey. We will also consider newly qualified nurses and those with the desire to develop their skillset within this specialty also.
To find out more about this department or other roles available, contact our Talent Acquisition Team.
Please note that this is for qualified nurses only and any non-nursing submissions made will not receive a response.