Cancer Services Open Day 2010
Monday, 1 November 2010
Emotional support for people affected by cancer is the focus of the 2010 Open Day for Cancer Services at North Bristol NHS Trust.
The Open Day takes place on Tuesday November 16 at the Learning and Research centre at Southmead Hospital.
The free event, from 10am-4pm, is open to everyone with an interest in cancer – including patients, carers and medical professionals.
There will be a wide range of speakers throughout the day who will talk about the developments in cancer services, delivering cancer care in the future and emotional support for patients and their families.
Support for people who survive cancer will also be discussed including a presentation from the National Cancer Survivorship Initiative.
Patients and carers can also find out how they can contribute to the development of cancer services.
It will be the seventh annual Cancer Services Open Day organised by North Bristol NHS Trust.
Marika Hills, North Bristol NHS Trust’s Assistant Lead Cancer Nurse, said: “Presentations from speakers throughout the day regarding developments in the field of cancer care will be of interest to professionals, patients and carers.
“There will also be information stands manned by clinical nurse specialists from cancer teams such as breast care, upper gastro-intestinal, urology, head and neck, palliative care, haematology, neurology and lung.”
Representatives from charitable, self help and other cancer groups will also be at the event including: St Peter’s Hospice, the Oncology Information and Support Centre, Hammer out, Cancer Help for Ethnic Communities, Macmillan Cancer Support the Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire Cancer Services User Group and the Macmillan CAB Benefits Advice Service.
Cancer Services Open Day Programme
- 10.00 -10.10 Welcome and introduction to the day Chair of the morning session Alistair Whiteway, Haematology Consultant and Lead Cancer Clinician
- 10.10 - 10.30 NHS Bristol “Commissioning cancer services” Amanda Saunders, Cancer Commissioner, NHS Bristol
- 10.30 - 11.30 The future developments for cancer survivorship servicesGilmour Frew, Director, National Cancer Survivorship Intiative
- 11.30 - 12.00 National black and minority ethnic patient forum Paula Lloyd, Associate Director, National Cancer Action Team
- 12.00 - 12.20 Developing early intervention survivorship courses Nick Ambler, Clinical Psychologist
- 12.20 - 12.30 Close of morning session
- 12.30 - 13.15 Lunch
- 13.15 - 13.20 Open of afternoon session Dany Bell, Lead Cancer Nurse/Manager
- 13.20 - 13.40 Breakthrough Breast Cancer and North Bristol Trust- service pledge Shauna Freeman, Breakthrough Breast Cancer and Jane Barker, Lead Breast Care Nurse
- 13.40 - 14.00 The future of cancer services in the new political landscape Ruth Brunt, Chief Executive
- 14.00 - 14.30 Service users experience – GOSH Jackie Elliott, service user, and Issy Battiwala, Upper G.I. Clinical Nurse Specialist
- 14.30 - 14.50 Break for tea / coffee
- 14.50 - 15.50 The Harbour - understanding the emotional impact of cancer Caroline Hukins, Liz Salter and Ali Kessler - The Harbour Team
- 15.50 - 16.00 Round Up and Close
Event sponsored by: Napp, Bristol Myers Squibb, Glaxo Smith Kline, Novartis Oncology UK, Sanofi Aventis, Lilly.