Mums give maternity services at Southmead Hospital thumbs up in survey
Friday, 11 November 2011
Southmead Hospital’s Maternity Services have been rated highly by mums in a new survey.
The NHS Maternity Survey 2010 was carried out by the Picker Institute Europe on behalf of North Bristol NHS Trust and 63 other NHS trusts across the country.
A total of 256 women who had given birth and had gone through their pregnancies with Southmead completed a questionnaire.
The results show that maternity services at Southmead performed better than average in 28 areas compared to other trusts.
Results of Southmead Hospital Maternity Services:
- 94% of women were offered the choice of a home birth
- 96% of maternity patients rated their hospital care during pregnancy as excellent, very good or good
- 94% of maternity patients rated their hospital care during labour and birth as excellent, very good or good
- 90% of maternity patients rated their hospital care after the birth as excellent, very good or good.
NBT scored better than the average trust on areas including:
- Information and support offered from midwives
- Involving women in decisions about their care
- Making women aware of the choices available to them
The report also highlighted that women felt they were not given a choice of where and when antenatal check-ups and classes were held.
The trust will now consult with women on antenatal classes and check ups to see whether more venues and a service at weekends and in the evenings is possible.
Stephanie Withers, matron for the delivery suite and antenatal assessment unit, said: “It is wonderful to have such a positive response from our mums, which is a testament to the hard work of all our staff.
“This is great news for women in Bristol and South Gloucestershire.
“It shows that they can be confident that if they are coming to Southmead Hospital to have their babies, they are in safe and caring hands.”
Cossham Birth Centre, Bristol’s first free standing midwife-led birth centre, will open in autumn next year.
It will be the first free standing birth centre in the area where healthy women with a straightforward pregnancy in Bristol and South Gloucestershire can give birth in a safe alternative to home or the traditional hospital based birth setting.
Watch our Maternity Video.