NBT accepted onto prestigious LGB programme
Monday, 9 August 2010
North Bristol NHS Trust has become the first NHS organisation in the west of England to be accepted onto a prestigious programme that aims to support lesbian, gay and bisexual patients and staff members.
The Stonewall Healthy Lives programme is the first of its kind to offer NHS organisations specific advice on improving the experience of their LGB staff.
As a participant in the programme, North Bristol NHS Trust will receive:
- Face to face meetings with programme staff
- On hand expert advice from Stonewall on issue affecting LGB staff and patients
- An audit of the Trust’s inclusiveness as an employer
- The development of a LGB staff group
- Access to NHS-specific training on employment and patient issue including domestic violence and hate crime
- Support to mainstream LGB equalities in existing policy, practice and procedure.
Lesley Mansell, NBT’s Equality and Diversity Manager, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for the Trust and will help us build on our existing work to increase awareness of the issues faced by the LGB community.
“Over the past few months we have established equalities groups throughout the Trust but we don’t have a specific LGB group which this programme will help us set up.
“North Bristol NHS Trust is committed to providing its staff with a great place to work regardless of sexual orientation and we are actively looking at how we can be more inclusive as an employer.”