North Bristol NHS Trust’s pledge to manage its environmental impact
Wednesday, 24 June 2015
As one of the largest healthcare providers and employers in the region, North Bristol NHS Trust has today set out is commitment to manage its impact on the environment now and in the future.
We recognise the healthcare service we provide to our community has a significant impact on our environment ranging from the amount of carbon we emit, the energy and water we use to the medical supplies we purchase through to the food we serve.
As such the Trust has adopted an Environmental Policy which commits us to manage these environmental impacts in a more sustainable way.
Simon Wood, Director of Facilities, said: “The policy launch is aimed at engaging and enthusing patients, visitors and members of staff on what we are doing and what they can do to reduce their own environmental impact and raising awareness of the links between health and sustainability.”
The policy’s objectives commit us to monitoring and reducing our carbon emissions, energy use, water consumption, mileage, waste and the environmental impact from the food we serve.
By managing our environmental impacts in a more sustainable way, we will aim to deliver the following benefits:
- Deliver patient focussed sustainable models of care such as treatment at home, electronic appointment and referrals
- Contribute to financial sustainability by reducing our energy, waste, water and procurement costs
- Nurture a healthy resilient workforce by promoting health and wellbeing through sustainable lifestyle choices such as active travel and healthy diet
- Contribute to improved local air quality and reduce respiratory illnesses by decreasing the number of vehicles on our roads
- Improve staff health and wellbeing and patient recovery time through access to green space on our sites
- Deliver a resilient healthcare service for the people of Bristol ready for changing times and climates
- Preventative healthcare - promote health and wellbeing through sustainable lifestyle choices.
Simon added: “Our Environmental Policy demonstrates our contribution to Bristol’s year as European Green Capital.
“As a large healthcare organisation in the city we want to lead by example and encourage our staff, patients, contractors and our local community to work together to deliver the shared vision of a healthy happy city for the future.”
The full environmental policy can be read here.