Having cancer can be expensive – often people’s income goes down and their expenditure goes up. People face extra costs for heating, travel to and from hospital, childcare and a special diet, as well as struggling to keep their jobs and maintain their mortgage or rent payments.
The Bristol Macmillan Benefits Advice Service helps by:
• Offering advice on benefits people can claim
• Supporting clients to complete often very complicated benefit applications
• Supporting clients with appeals against benefit decisions
• Giving information on charitable grants available including Macmillan grants
• Giving information on the cost of hospital transport and car parking
• Providing advice or signposting clients to further advice on employment issues, housing and debt.
To access our service please ask your Macmillan Support Worker, Clinical Nurse Specialist or the team at the Macmillan Wellbeing Centre to make a referral to our scheme.
The Macmillan Benefits Service will then contact you to arrange an appointment at a location convenient to you. Telephone appointments are made if you are unable to travel.
If you would like information about the service please call 0117 9462563. Please note that this is not an advice line. If you require more immediate advice please call Macmillan Head Office on 0808 808 00 00 and ask for the Welfare Rights Team.