Cossham Birth Centre
Mums-to-be who are having a straightforward pregnancy and would like a natural birth, may be able to choose the homely environment of Cossham free-standing birth centre rather than a traditional hospital setting.
Facilities at Cossham Birth Centre have been designed to provide comfort and support in labour and include:
- 4 en-suite birth rooms furnished with floor mats, cushions and birth balls to support you
- A water pool in each birth room, should you wish to relax and/or give birth in water
- Entonox (gas and air), TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), aromatherapy and Pethidine to help with labour
- A double bed in each room so your partner may stay with you and your baby after the birth
- Use of a communal kitchen and dining area where light snacks will be available
See our photo album of Cossham Birth Centre as work progressed up until opening on January 28 2013:
In addition to the birth facilities, Cossham is a base for the local community midwives and a venue for antenatal clinics, classes, postnatal clinics and breastfeeding support groups.
Cossham has the equipment available and the staff trained for initial care in emergency situations. However, the facilities for more intensive or longer term resuscitation are not available at midwife-led units and therefore if women or babies at Cossham need medical treatment they will need to be transferred to a maternity hospital.
'A recent study about place of birth supports healthy women with straightforward pregnancies choosing to give birth in a free-standing birth centre such as Cossham. It showed that these women are more likely to have:
- A "normal birth"
- A water pool in labour
and are less likely to have medical interventions such as:
- An intravenous infusion to help with progress of labour
- A forceps delivery
- A Caesarean section
The midwives at Cossham will not be able to provide:
- Epidural pain relief
- Induction of labour (starting contractions off) or a drip to speed up your labour
- Assisted delivery with forceps, ventouse or Caesarean section
For more information download patient information leaflet Cossham Birth Centre PDF.
Contact Cossham Birth Centre
Cossham Birth Centre
Bristol, BS15 1LF
Telephone: 0117 340 8460