“Art...defines the culture here” Niall Prosser, Divisional Operations Director, North Bristol NHS Trust.
We believe that experiencing and engaging in the arts can improve the quality of life and enhance the wellbeing of patients and staff. It can provide distraction from boredom and pain, increase confidence and self-esteem, enable a greater sense of agency, and provide increased opportunities for social interaction and connection with staff, visitors and other patients as well as with one’s self.
Fresh Arts has been established for more than 10 years, during which time it has grown into a vibrant creative programme. Evidence of Fresh Arts’ impact has stimulated a growing demand for services and support.
Employing more than 10 artists and musicians across our programme and regularly engaging about 10 volunteers and 40 volunteer pianists, we deliver a programme of arts activity which offers opportunities to enjoy professional performances and productions by local and regional artists as well as opportunities to feel the therapeutic benefits of engaging with music, dance, creative writing, visual arts and crafts.
- to provide access to and engagement with high quality arts provision to improve the quality of life of our patients
- to support patients with chronic conditions to better manage their wellbeing
- to improve hospital environments for the benefit of patients, visitors and staff
- to support staff wellbeing
- to build partnership both within and outside the Trust
- to ensure safety and high quality by training and supporting our artists to work in healthcare
Our work is underpinned and informed by our values: