Listening to Children and Young People with Speech & Language and Communication Needs
Sue Roulstone and Sharynne McLeod (Editors)
The importance of listening to children and young people has received considerable attention in the literature, but little has been written about the particular challenges of listening to those with speech, language and communication needs.
This book includes:
- the voice of the children and young people with speech, language and communication needs
- insights from researchers, speech and language therapists, social workers, psychologists, teachers, advocates, and parents
- a diversity of disciplines: health, education, and social care
- a range of creative techniques and solutions for listening to children and young people
- links to service implications
Part I provides views about the importance of listening to children written by advocates for children with speech, language and communication needs.
Part II unpacks the complexities and issues, providing theoretical perspectives about the listening process.
Part III contains real life examples of listening to children and young people through structured reports of research and clinical projects.
Copies of the book may be purchased direct from the publishers - J&R Press or from Amazon
Royalties from the sale of the book are donated to Afasic, a charity for children and young people with speech, language and communication needs.
Phoneme Factory 'Developing Speech and Language Skills' book
It aims to provide guidance for teachers, SENCos, SLTs and parents regarding:
- Criteria for referral to speech and language therapy
- Phonological disorders
- Appropriate intervention approaches that can be used in the classroom and at home
- Complementing the book is a CD containing downloadable resources including a picture library for the classroom and the home, as well as checklists and other time-saving documents
By Gwen Lancaster and published by Routledge (David Fulton). Available direct from the publishers Routledge or Amazon.
If you would like to purchase Phoneme Factory Software then please follow the link to Stass Publications.
This book is part of the Phoneme Factory Project was undertaken by Granada Learning in partnership with the Bristol Speech and Language Therapy Research Unit (BSLTRU).
More details about these books can be found in the downloadable PDFs below.