Dr Sam Harding, BSc, MSc, MPhil, DHealthPsych
Senior Research Associate
I am a Health Psychologist with qualifications in research methods and medical education. Over the last twenty years I have conducted research with, and on behalf of the NHS, charities, and commercial research organisations. I call upon a unique mix of psychology methods and frameworks to answer research questions.
I’ve had the great fortune to work in primary and secondary health care settings and to have experience across diverse fields including; hyperbaric medicine, chronic respiratory disease, maxillofacial cancer, and speech and language. I have generally focused on the impact of disease and treatment on the biological, psychological and social aspects of patients.
As well as being part of the BSLTRU team, I also work across diciplines within North Bristol NHS Trust to initiate and deliver research projects, and subsquently ensure that they are disseminated.
Current research with BSLTRU
- Parental understanding of speech and language impairment in their preschool children
- Positive psychological change
- Morgan, L., Marshall, J., Harding, S. et al 2019. 'It depends': Characterizing speech and language therapy for preschool children with developmental speech and language disorders. Int J Lang Commun Disord. doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12498
- Klatte, I.S., Harding, S. & Roulstone, S. 2019. Speech and language therapists' views on parents' engagement in Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT). Int J Lang Commun Disord. doi: 10.1111/1460-6984.12459.
- Harding, S. 2018. The trajectory of positive psychological change in a head and neck cancer population. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 47(5):578-584. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2017.09.010.
- Harding, S. & Moss, T.P. 2018. The impact of treatment for head and neck cancer on positive psychological change within a year of completing treatment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 47(3):302-308. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2017.07.023.
- Wren, Y., Harding, S., Goldbart, J. and Roulstone, S. 2018. A systematic review and classification of interventions for speech sound disorder in preschool children. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders.
- Roulstone, S., Harding, S. & Morgan, L., 2016. Exploring the involvement of children and young people with speech, language and communication needs and their families in decision making - a research project, London: The Communication Trust. Available at: www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk/involve.
- Marshall, J., Harding, S. & Roulstone, S., 2016. Language development, delay and intervention-the views of parents from communities that speech and language therapy managers in England consider to be under-served. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1460-6984.12288/full.
- Blackwell, A.K.M. et al., 2015. Characteristics of Parent–Child Interactions. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 36(2). Available at: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1525740114540202
Linked profiles of academic outputs
Web of Science ResearcherID: J-2952-2019
Bristol Medical School - Paediatrics and child health