I am a Health Psychologist with qualifications in research methods, medical education, and implementation science. Over the last twenty years I have conducted research with, and on behalf of the NHS, charities, and commercial research organisations. I call upon a unique mix of psychology methods and frameworks to answer research questions.
I’ve had the great fortune to work in primary and secondary health care settings and to have experience across diverse fields including; breast cancer, chronic respiratory disease, hyperbaric medicine, maxillofacial cancer, speech and language therapy and stroke. I have generally focused on the impact of disease and treatment on the biological, psychological and social aspects of patients outcomes.
As well as being part of the BSLTRU team, I also work across disciplines within North Bristol NHS Trust to develop, initiate and deliver research projects, and subsequently ensure that they are disseminated. As part of this I am a CAHPR Connector working with multiple universities and hospitals to support AHP developed and lead research. As well as leading a programme of work to facilitate all staff across the trust to gain and subsequently use research skills to improve our services and patients treatment.
Current research with BSLTRU
- Parental understanding of speech and language impairment in their preschool children
- Positive psychological change
- Jensen de Lopez KM, Feilberg J, Baena S, Lyons R, Harding S, et al (2021) “So, I told him to look for friends!” Barriers and protecting factors that may facilitate inclusion for children with Language Disorder in everyday social settings: Cross-cultural qualitative interviews with parents. Research in Developmental Disabilities. DOI: 10.1016/j.ridd.2021.103963
- Jensen de Lopez KM, Lyons R, Novogrodsky R, Baena S, Feilberg J, Harding S, et al (2021) Exploring Parental Perspectives of Childhood Speech and Language Disorders Across 10 Countries: A Pilot Qualitative Study. JSLHR. DOI: 10.1044/2020_JSLHR-20-00415
- Williams C, Harding S, Wren Y. An Exploratory Study of Speech and Language Therapy Intervention for Children Born With Cleft Palate ± Lip. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 2020;1-15. https://doi.org/10.1177/1055665620954734
- Coad J, Harding S, Hambly H, et al. Perspectives of preschool children in England with speech and language needs in the development of evidence-based activities. Child Care Health Dev. 2020;1–11. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/cch.12746
- Morgan, L., Marshall, J., Harding, S. et al 2019. 'It depends': Characterizing speech and language therapy for preschool children with developmental speech and language disorders. Int J Lang Commun Disord. doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12498
- Klatte, I.S., Harding, S. & Roulstone, S. 2019. Speech and language therapists' views on parents' engagement in Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT). Int J Lang Commun Disord. doi: 10.1111/1460-6984.12459.
- Harding, S. 2018. The trajectory of positive psychological change in a head and neck cancer population. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 47(5):578-584. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2017.09.010.
- Harding, S. & Moss, T.P. 2018. The impact of treatment for head and neck cancer on positive psychological change within a year of completing treatment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 47(3):302-308. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2017.07.023.
- Wren, Y., Harding, S., Goldbart, J. and Roulstone, S. 2018. A systematic review and classification of interventions for speech sound disorder in preschool children. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders.
- Roulstone, S., Harding, S. & Morgan, L., 2016. Exploring the involvement of children and young people with speech, language and communication needs and their families in decision making - a research project, London: The Communication Trust. Available at: www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk/involve.
- Marshall, J., Harding, S. & Roulstone, S., 2016. Language development, delay and intervention-the views of parents from communities that speech and language therapy managers in England consider to be under-served. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1460-6984.12288/full.
- Blackwell, A.K.M. et al., 2015. Characteristics of Parent–Child Interactions. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 36(2). Available at: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1525740114540202
Linked profiles of academic outputs
Web of Science ResearcherID: J-2952-2019
Bristol Medical School - Paediatrics and child health
King's College London - Dental School