Keeping you Covid safe
To keep yourself and those around you safe, please act responsibly:
- Wash or sanitise your hands upon arrival and frequently.
- Mask wearing is optional in our hospitals for patients and visitors. There may be some circumstances where face masks are required, such as when visiting patients with a suspected or confirmed Covid or flu infection, which you may be informed of prior to attending our hospitals or on arrival in ward areas.
- If you are coming for an appointment, please come no earlier than 15 minutes beforehand and leave promptly afterwards.
- Do not call to check about an appointment. We will contact you directly if there are any changes or cancellations you need to be aware of.
Our hospital is extremely busy
Please only attend our emergency department if you have a serious or life-threatening condition, if you are unsure where to go call NHS 111.
If you have a friend or family in our hospital who is ready to be discharged, please speak to the ward to see how you can help them return home as soon as possible.
Visitors are permitted anytime, with a limit of 2 visitors at the bedside at any one time.
Please do not visit a patient in hospital if you feel unwell. This includes symptoms of Covid-19, sickness, diarrhoea, fever, sore throat or flu.
Read our full visitor policy here.
Telephone number: 0117 9505050
Please be aware, it can take 15 minutes to walk the length of the Brunel building Atrium. There is a motorised buggy available which seats six.
Take a virtual walk through the Atrium of the Brunel, see where you can check in for your outpatient appointment and find where the gates are located throughout the building.
Southmead Hospital is served by over 12 bus services which stop either on site outside the main entrance to the Brunel building, or very close by, making it easier than ever to travel to and from Southmead by bus.
For quick and easy route planning, visit www.travewest.info
Cycle parking is provided and detailed in the Southmead Hospital Bristol Site Map. You can plan your route on CycleStreets. Spare locks and emergency repair kits are available in the Security Travel and Parking office, Brunel building, Level 1.
The nearest stations are Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbey Wood and Temple Meads. Each station has bus connections to the hospital. National Rail Enquiries, 03457 484950
At Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway you can hire a Brompton bike to cycle to the Hospital. For more information visit www.bromptonbikehire.com
- M4 junction 19 take the M32 towards Bristol. Leave the M32 at the first exit, (A4174 signposted Parkway).
- Turn right at the roundabout.
- Proceed along the dual carriageway.
- At Filton Hill round about (junction with A38) go straight across onto B4056 Southmead Road.
- Go straight across the double mini roundabout. The hospital is 250 yards beyond the roundabout on left.
- At junction 17 leave motorway towards Bristol (W). Take fourth available exit off roundabout on to A4018 (Cribbs Causeway).
- Take second available exit off roundabout onto A4018 (Cribbs Causeway).
- Take first available exit off roundabout on to A4018.
- Take second available exit off roundabout on to A4018 (Passage Road).
- Take third available left on to Greystoke Avenue.
- Turn right at mini-roundabout on to Doncaster Road.
- Turn left on to B4056 (Southmead Road). Arrive at BS10 5NB
- The Brunel multi-storey, Gloucester House, Emergency Department and Women & Children's car parks are pay on foot or pay by phone App Glide. You can download Glide via iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com or Google Play at https://play.google.com
- Patient drop off bays are available inside the Brunel multi-storey car park and outside ED where you can park for up to 20 minutes free of charge.
- There is a patient waiting room located next to the drop off bays in the Burnel multi-storey.
- Monks Park car park is pay and display.
- Tyndalls Way temporary short stay overflow car park is pay by cash only.
- Parking charges apply 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Disabled drivers displaying a blue badge can park free of charge. Disabled bays are provided in all public car parks. You will need to enter your vehicle registration and blue badge number. If there aren't any disabled bays available, you can park in a public car park space free of charge as long as you display your blue badge.
- Motorcycle parking is free of charge and parking areas are outlined on the Southmead Hospital Bristol Site Map.
- Parking on double yellow lines is forbidden, including blue badge holders.
- The Beaufort Way car park is barrier controlled as it is staff only.
- All women in active labour at the Mendip Birth Centre or the Central Delivery Suite (CDDS) and their partners, can benefit from free parking. Ask your midwife for details.
For long term parking options or if you are having difficulty parking, particularly in an emergency, please telephone the Parking team on 0117 4143334, who will try and assist you.
Southmead Hospital car parking charges:
- 0 – 2 hours £3.50
- 2 – 4 hours £5
- 4 – 6 hours £7
- 6 – 8 hours £8
- 8 – 24 hours £9.50
- 7 day ticket £30
Please respect the local neighbours’ by not parking in adjacent streets. Be aware that there are parking restrictions on many of these roads with parking limited to residential permit holders only, Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm.
Southmead CQC Report
Car Parking Charges
Car Park Charges
- 0-20 minutes - free of charge
- 0 – 2 hours £3.50
- 2 – 4 hours £5.00
- 4 – 6 hours £7.00
- 6 – 8 hours £8.00
- 8 – 24 hours £9.50
- 7 day ticket £30
- Disabled parking - free of charge
Cashpoints are located at:
- Level 1, Brunel building, opposite Pharmacy
- Amigo shop, Level 1, Brunel building
Plan Your Journey
Discover your best options for travelling to our hospitals. The journey planner provides the walking, cycling and public transport options available to you.