Dr Lydia Morgan, BmedSci, PGCert, PhD
I qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist in 2006 from Sheffield University. Since then I have primarily worked in research, completing a PhD in 2013 exploring evidence of deficit and theory of therapy in children with specific receptive language impairment. Since 2016 I’ve worked clinically in the adult acute setting a long side my research post.
My primary research interests are in theories of therapy and language impairments. I have worked on a range of projects at the unit, which have given me experience with qualitative and quantitative data, as well as systematic reviews. I’m particularly interested in theories of therapy, and since working clinically, understanding how we can strive to join up research with clinical practice. I’m currently principle investigator and research associate on a study looking at the feasibility of an exercise ball/programme for swallowing in frail elderly people. This is a departure from my previous research experience which has been with children, but I’m excited to be doing some adult and clinically based research.
- Morgan, L., Overton, S., Bates, S., Titterington, J., Wren, Y. (2021) Making the case for the collection of a minimal dataset for children with speech sound disorder. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12649
- Coad, J., Harding, S., Hambly, H., Parker, N., Morgan, L., Marshall, J., Roulstone, S.(2020) Perspectives of preschool children in England with speech and language needs in the development of evidence-based activities. Child Care Health and Development, 3:283-293.
- Morgan, L., Marshall, J., Harding, S., Powell, G., Wren, Y., Coad, J., Roulstone, S. 2019 'It depends': Characterizing speech and language therapy for preschool children with developmental speech and language disorders. Int J Lang Commun Disord.; 54(6):954-970. doi:10.1111/1460-6984.12498
- Seifert, M., Morgan, L., Gibbin, S., Wren, Y. (2020) An Alternative Approach to Measuring Reliability of Transcription in Children’s Speech Samples: Extending the Concept of Near Functional Equivalence. Folia Phoniatr Logop, 72:84–91. doi.org/10.1159/000502324
- Morgan, L. and Wren, Y. 2018. A Systematic Review of the Literature on Early vocalizations and Babbling Patterns in Young Children. Communication Disorders Quarterly.
- S.E. Roulstone, J.E.Marshall, G.G. Powell, J. Goldbart, Y.E. Wren, J. Coad, N. Daykin, J.E. Powell, L. Lascelles, W. Hollingworth, A. Emond, T.J. Peters, J.I. Pollock, C. Fernandes, J. Moultrie, S.A. Harding, L. Morgan, H.F. Hambly, N.K. Parker, R.A. Coad. (2015) Evidence based intervention for preschool children with primary speech and language impairments – An exploratory mixed methods study. Programme Grants for Applied Research. NIHR Journals Library www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk
Bristol Medical School - Paediatrics and child health