Due to the impact of the Coronavirus all work experience placements have been suspended until further notice.
We work with the local schools and colleges listed below to provide opportunities for young people to gain knowledge and experience of different roles and raise awareness of career options and job opportunities within the NHS.
- Abbeywood Community School
- Badminton School
- Bradley Stoke Community School
- Brimsham Green School
- Bristol Free School
- Chipping Sodbury School
- Downend School
- Fairfield High School
- Hanham Woods Academy
- Henbury School
- John Cabot Academy
- Kings Oak Academy
- Mangotsfield School
- Marlwood School
- Oasis Academy Brightstowe
- Patchway Community College
- Redmaid’s School
- Sir Bernard Lovell Academy
- St Bede’s Catholic College
- The Castle School
- Orchard School Bristol
- Winterbourne International Academy
- Yate International Academy
- South Gloucestershire and Stroud College
- North Somerset Enterprise and Technology College
- Weston College
There are over 350 potential career options in healthcare and opportunities for work experience include clinical and administrative areas, allowing participants to learn about working in the NHS, develop new skills, learn about their strengths and weaknesses and increase their confidence.
Learning and Development organise various opportunities for young people to gain experience of the NHS and our Trust. These include tours of departments, careers events, work shadowing, taster/observation days, mock interviews and work experience programmes, including traineeships and sector-based academy learners.
The Practice Development Team at North Bristol NHS Trust has achieved numerous accreditations and awards, including:
- A City & Guilds Approved Centre
- Skills for Health & NHS Health Education ‘South West Employer Award’ & ‘South West Provider Award’ 2013-2014
- The National Skill Academy ‘Lead Employer Partner’
- National Apprenticeship Service ‘Apprenticeships Award: Macro Employer of the Year’ Regional Winner 2013.
- Matrix Quality Standard for Information, Advice and Guidance Services
Work Experience Applications
Work experience applications have now closed for the academic year 2018/19. Applications will re-open in September 2019.
Students wishing to undertake work experience should apply to their own school or college by December for a placement the following calendar year.
Each school and college has been allocated a specific number of placements and a term time only month when North Bristol NHS Trust will endeavour to accommodate work experience students.
Please note - If your school or college is not on the list as supported by us, please contact other local hospitals, e.g. University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust or Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust, to ask about their work experience opportunities.
If you have a close relative that works at NBT, you can apply directly for work experience by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the application form and further information. Please ensure that the completed application is returned to us no later than 31st December. Please be aware that we have a limited number of places available so we will offer these places on a first come, first served basis to completed application forms.
My experience was very enjoyable, worthwhile and interesting and I got to see and do so much in such a short space of time which was fantastic.