Registering a Death
The death must be registered within 5 days.
In order to do this you will need the medical cause of death certificate issued by bereavement services and, if available, the deceased’s medical card.
The Registrar will ask for the following:
- Date and place of death.
- Full name and surname (and maiden surname if the deceased was a woman who has married).
- Date and place of birth (including town or village).
- Occupation (and if the deceased was a married woman or a widow the name and occupation of her husband).
- Deceased’s last known address.
- Whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension or public funds.
- If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower.
The Registrar will give you the following:
- Certificate of registration for the Department of Social Security.
- Green certificate for funeral director.
There will be a fee for each further copies of the registrations for banks, insurance etc., so you may need to take cash or a personal cheque.
Deaths occurring at Southmead Hospital Bristol must be registered by appointment at either of the following offices: