Family History Clinic
The Family History Clinic is run by Dr Mike Shere. You must have a direct referral from your GP.
At the appointment, a full family history is taken and a risk assessment made, usually using a computer programme which prints out the family tree and risks for the patient to take away.
These risks are then discussed and a recommendation based on the NICE guidelines made.
Recommendations might be that:
- you are at low risk and nothing needs to be done
- you should start annual mammography from age 40
- MRI screening is recommended for very high risk patients
- a referral for genetic testing is recommended
- a discussion of taking risk reducing Tamoxifen.
If a referral for genetic testing is recommended, this would be performed at St Michaels Hospital, Bristol.