The South West Neuromuscular Operational Delivery Network (SWNODN) was formed in 2009 in response to a report entitled Building on the Foundations: The Need for a Specialist Neuromuscular Service across England produced by Muscular Dystrophy UK. The report highlighted inequalities in the services available to people with a neuromuscular condition and prompted an All Party Parliamentary Group for Muscular Dystrophy to investigate this further. This resulted in Access to Specialist Neuromuscular Care – The Walton Report.
The Network was originally hosted by the South West Specialised Commissioning Group, but following a reorganisation of the NHS in 2012 the Network hosting arrangements were moved to North Bristol NHS Trust.
Our Mission Statement
In collaboration with our colleagues, NHS partner organisations, and patients, their carers and their families, the SWNODN will recommend and deliver the highest quality clinical and non-clinical support to individuals with a neuromuscular condition. The Network aims to establish centres of excellence across the South West with the guidance of clinical leadership in the field of neuromuscular service provision and with the approval of the SWNODN’s Executive Board and NHS England South commissioners.
The overall aims of the SWNODN are to:
- Ensure an equitable and accessible service for individuals with a neuromuscular condition, and their families and carers, in the South West;
- Determine a strategic direction for neuromuscular services (including pathways of care) in the South West;
- Plan and develop neuromuscular services, including service configuration, care and treatment pathways (supported by referral policies and procedures) and service specifications (incorporating published Standards of Care and appropriate quality measurements);
- Raise standards of care and support for individuals with a neuromuscular condition, and their families and carers, in the South West;
- Promote the work of the SWNODN and agree a communication strategy with professionals and the public to maximise user involvement;
- Identify and share good practice and common aims across organisations and health communities.
For further information, download:
South West Neuromuscular Operational Delivery Network
Office 7, Gate 18, Level 1, Brunel Building
Telephone: 0117 4141184
or 0117 4141185