SWNODN Events for Clinicians and Allied Healthcare Professionals
South West Interest in Muscles (SWIM) Conference
The SW Neuromuscular ODN deliver a SWIM Conference twice a year. The Conference is open to clinicians and allied healthcare professionals who have an interest in neuromuscular conditions. It's a great opportunity to network with colleagues in other specialties and organisations in the South West. The conference is usually themed around neuromuscular conditions or focusing on points in the patients care pathway across other related specialties.
Details about the next SWIM Conference:
South West Interest in Muscles (SWIM) Conference - Thursday 21 November 2019
The next SWIM Conference will be held on Thursday 21 November 2019 at Taunton Racecourse. The theme of the conference is "Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy".
A provisional programme for the day is available here:
To register for a place, please click on this Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/south-west-interest-in-muscles-swim-conference-21-november-2019-registration-76409598165
If you would like to be notified of details of future SWIM conferences, please contact the SW Neuromuscular Office by email (email@example.com) and request to be added to our mailing list.
Details about most recent SWIM Conferences:
Theme - Anterior Horn Cell disorders including MND and SMA
- Welcome and introduction to Anterior Horn cell disorders
SWNODN SWIMJun19 - Arni Majumdar.pdf769.16 KB
Dr Arni Majumdar, Consultant Paediatric Neurologist, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- Motor Neurone Disease: Diagnosis and Management
Dr Andria Merrison, Clinical Lead for SWNODN, Consultant Neurologist, North Bristol NHS Trust
- Other Anterior Horn Cell disorders - excluding MND and SMA (presentation not available)
Dr Pietro Fratta, Clinical Scientist and Honorary Consultant Neurologist, University College London - Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
- SMA - a little ray of hope among neuromuscular disorders?
Dr Mariacristina Scoto, Specialty Doctor in Neuromuscular, The Dubowitz Neuromuscular Unit, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Case Studies (presentations not available to the public)
Dr Naveen Mohanraj, ST6 Paediatric Trainee, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust / Dr Arni Majumdar, Consultant Paediatric Neurologist, University Hospials Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- A Psychotherapeutic Approach to Working with Motor Neurone Disease
SWNODN SWIMJun19 - John Ashworth.pdf212.09 KB
Dr John Ashworth, Counselling Psychologist, North Bristol NHS Trust
- The Role of Palliative Care in the Management of Neuromuscular Disorders
Dr Emma Husbands, Consultant Palliative Medicine, Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Past SWIM Themes
Below is a list of some of the past SWIM Themes. If you would like further information, please contact the SW Neuromuscular office on 0117 4141184 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 29 November 2018 - Moaning Muscles and Miserable Mitochondria - The Metabolic Myopathies
- 21 June 2018 - Myasthenia Gravis and related disorders
- 23 November 2017 - Neuropathies
- 8 June 2017 - Respiratory and Neuromuscular Disease
- 1 December 2016 - The New Genetics: Transforming Research in Neuromuscular Disease
- 19 May 2016 - Psychology related to Neuromuscular conditions / Transition from paediatric to adult neurology services
- 19 November 2015 - Neuromuscular disorders and Scoliosis Surgery / Orthopaedic considerations in Neuromuscular conditions
- 23 April 2015 - Neuromuscular disorders and their impact on child, family and society / Neuromuscular disorders and the heart
- 20 November 2014 - Transition and Genetics
- 8 May 2014 - Muscles and Mitochondria in Neuromuscular disorders / Metabolic conditions
- 21 November 2013 - Bones in Neuromuscular disorders
- 23 May 2013 - Respiratory issues in Neuromuscular disorders - paediatric and adults
- 22 November 2012 - Palliative Care
- 14 May 2012 - Neuromuscular disorders and the heart
- 1 December 2012 - Myasthenic and Myotonic conditions
- 5 May 2011 - Bone health and neuropathy
- 18 March 2010 - Cardiac, Physiotherapy, Spinal Complications and Respiratory care
Other Events for Clinicians and Allied Healthcare Professionals
No other events scheduled currently.