Maternity Services at North Bristol NHS Trust provides a full range of maternity care. More than 6,000 babies are born with us every year and our dedicated midwives, doctors, maternity healthcare assistants (MCAs) and support staff are committed to giving you personalised care of the highest standard.
We have a range of choices for place of birth, including:
- Home birth - a planned birth at home with care provided by midwives during labour and birth.
- Cossham Birth Centre - is available under an “Open on Arrival” model and is an option for women without complications who have been assessed antenatally as suitable by their midwife.
- Mendip Birth Centre - an Alongside Midwifery Unit (AMU) at Southmead Hospital: offering care to women with straightforward pregnancies during labour and birth in which midwives take primary professional responsibility for your care. During labour and birth medical services, including obstetric, neonatal and anaesthetic care are available should they be needed, in the same building. Transfer will normally be by bed or wheelchair.
- Central Delivery Suite - an Obstetric Unit (OU) where care is provided by a team, with obstetricians taking primary professional responsibility for women at high risk of complications during labour and birth. Midwives offer care to all women in an OU, whether or not they are considered at high or low risk, and take primary responsibility for women with straightforward pregnancies during labour and birth. Medical services including obstetric, neonatal and anaesthetic care are available on site, 24 hours a day.
Our maternity facilities offer en-suite birth rooms, birth pools, overnight partner stays if labour is induced and following the birth, full range of complementary therapies and pain management and free parking for women in active labour, and their partners, on the Southmead Hospital site. We also have a 24-hour seven days a week Antenatal Assessment Unit and a family room available at Southmead Hospital. We have a variety of single and shared rooms, if you wish to speak to someone confidentially please speak to a member of staff.
Our Community Midwifery teams are based at a variety of places such as GP surgeries, Health Centres, Clinics or Children’s Centres. They provide care with the assistance of maternity care assistants (MCA) during the antenatal and postnatal period across Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire (BNSSG).
Please use the main maternity reception to enter and exit our Maternity Services at Southmead, including AAU and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
- Upon arrival, you will be asked to sign in and given a lanyard.
- If you are a visitor, we kindly request you wear your lanyard at all times.
- Please keep noise in this area, and within the wards, to a minimum.
- When leaving, please ensure you sign yourself out and return your lanyard.
However, please use the Central Delivery Suite entrance if:
- You are in labour and are planning on birthing at either Mendip Birth Centre or the Central Delivery Suite. If your birth partner needs to move the car, get bags etc after your arrival, they will be allowed out of this door for that purpose.
- You are having scans on the Central Delivery Suite including fetal medicine scans.
- You are having treatment on CDS including ECVs.
Entry and exit from any other route is not permitted without speaking to a member of staff. We appreciate your co-operation.
If you have any questions, please speak to your midwife or a member of the security team.
We are proud to have Baby Friendly accreditation, and support all families in their choice of feeding. We have the Precious Drops Milk Bank which is a milk donor facility to support pre-term infants. Find out more about Precious Drops.
North Bristol NHS Trust has been at the forefront of multi-professional emergency training within maternity and has been running an in house programme for all staff since 2000. This world renowned research has led to the development of PROMPT (Practical Obstetric Multi Professional Training) which is a training package used in many maternity units in the UK, and other international centres. This training has led to improved outcomes for mothers and babies and we are proud of our excellent outcomes. We also have a well-known research department.
We have been awarded the NHS Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts (CNST) Level 3 - the highest and most challenging level of achievement granted by the NHS Litigation Authority (NHSLA). This follows rigorous assessment against national standards in maternity and demonstrates that we consistently deliver systems of care to ensure that mothers and babies receive safe and appropriate care.
Our friendly, professional team look forward to welcoming you and supporting you in your birth choices.
www.maternityvoices.org.uk enables parents to share their experiences and get involved in the activities of Maternity Voices, the Maternity Services Liaison Committee for Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire.
Information and news can be found by joining Southmead Maternity Services at www.facebook.com
The information included in the website may not be relevant to all pregnant women, as it covers many conditions during pregnancy, labour and birth. If you have any questions, please ask one of our midwives.Find out more