Cossham Birth Centre
Choosing Where to Have Your Baby
Mums-to-be who are having a straightforward pregnancy and would like a natural birth, may be able to choose the homely environment of Cossham free-standing birth centre rather than a traditional hospital setting.
Facilities at Cossham Birth Centre, Bristol have been designed to provide comfort and support in labour and include:
- 4 en-suite birth rooms furnished with floor mats, cushions and birth balls to support you
- A water pool in each birth room, should you wish to relax and/or give birth in water
- Entonox (gas and air), TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), aromatherapy and Pethidine to help with labour
- A double bed in each room so your partner may stay with you and your baby after the birth
- Use of a communal kitchen and dining area where light snacks will be available
In addition to the birth facilities, Cossham Birth Centre is a base for the local community midwives and a venue for antenatal clinics, classes, postnatal clinics and breastfeeding support groups.
Cossham Birth Centre has the equipment available and the staff trained for initial care in emergency situations. However, the facilities for more intensive or longer term resuscitation are not available at midwife-led units and therefore if women or babies at Cossham Birth Centre need medical treatment they will need to be transferred to Southmead Hospital Bristol maternity.
'A recent study about place of birth supports healthy women with straightforward pregnancies choosing to give birth in a free-standing birth centre such as Cossham Birth Centre, Bristol. It showed that these women are more likely to have:
- A "normal birth"
- A water pool in labour
and are less likely to have medical interventions such as:
- An intravenous infusion to help with progress of labour
- A forceps delivery
- A Caesarean section
The midwives at Cossham Birth Centre will not be able to provide:
- Epidural pain relief
- Induction of labour (starting contractions off) or a drip to speed up your labour
- Assisted delivery with forceps, ventouse or Caesarean section
Cossham Birth Centre Tours
Mum-to-be plus 1 can book a tour of Cossham Birth Centre, Bristol. Tours run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6pm and Saturday at 2pm. To book your place, please contact 0117 3408460.
Our Active Birth Workshops, for women who are 35+ weeks, are run twice a month. To book your place, please contact 0117 3408460.
Philosophy of Cossham Birth Centre
Contact a midwife to book for antenatal care
Telephone: 0117 414 6923
Antenatal Assessment Unit
Telephone: 0117 414 6906
Telephone: 0117 414 6894
Quantock Assessment Unit
Telephone: 0117 4146906
Cossham Birth Centre
Telephone: 0117 3408460
Southmead Hospital Bristol switchboard: 0117 9505050