Clinical Equipment Services (CES)
Clinical Equipment Services (CES) has evolved to meet the challenges faced by North Bristol NHS Trust from the increasing quantity and complexity of medical devices.
We work with clinical staff to ensure that the most appropriate medical equipment is used and supported in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
We have the skills and ability to understand the different aspects of use
- Life-term costs of individual medical devices and systems of medical equipment used to provide diagnostic information and treatment.
We provide services of considerable added value to healthcare organisations in addition to supporting compliance with
- Clinical Governance
- Commission for Health Improvement
- NHSLA Risk Management Standards
- Care Quality Commission Standards
- National Occupational Standards
The department operates a quality management system to the requirements of BS EN ISO 9001:2008 and is a BSI registered firm.
Areas of activity:
- Pre-purchase advice, acceptance, commissioning, configuration, service, repair and safety management of medical equipment.
- Evaluation of new devices and novel technology in collaboration with clinical users.
- Advising on medical technology interface and support to the equipment planning, tendering and procurement process.
- Liaison with the Medical and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and with NHS England for the dissemination and implementation of safety notices relating to medical devices.
- Work in association with the trust Clinical Governance and Risk Management leads in the development and support of clinical incident reporting, investigation and action systems.
- Provision of advice regarding safety and the application of physical science and engineering in healthcare.
- Problem solving when complications arise in the application and use of medical devices in the clinical environment.
- Provision of, or contribution to training for staff at all levels in the safe and effective use of medical devices.
- Equipment maintenance, servicing and repair, including calibration to traceable national standards.
- Management and maintenance of the trust's master medical equipment inventory and associated quality and audit services.
- Support to the trust's Medical Equipment Management Committee.
- Provide assistance on risk analysis and risk management in the application and interactions of Medical Devices.
- Investigation of internal incidents involving medical devices.