Neuropsychiatry - For Clinicians
We accept referrals from GP’s, neurologists and psychiatrists.
We are a specialized, tertiary service and will accept referrals from any region if the patient is able to travel to our outpatient clinic.
If the patient is not from England then funding arrangements will need to be agreed prior to our being able to accept the referral.
We do not operate an emergency service, if a referral is considered more urgent we can place the patient on a cancellation list to potentially be offered appointments at short notice. Otherwise there is a usual wait of several months for an outpatient assessment.
Initial assessments are for up to an hour. Follow ups are up to 30 minutes.
- Age 17+ years, male or female
- Identified or suspected neuropsychiatric disorder requiring a tertiary service
- Epilepsy with psychiatric symptoms, and/or non-epileptic attacks
- Psychiatric symptoms presumed secondary to neurological disorders such as:
- Brain lesions
- Parkinson’s and other movement disorders
- Young onset dementia
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurodevelopmental disorders
- Patients requiring pre-surgical psychiatric assessment in epilepsy or deep brain stimulation
- Diagnosis of functional neurological disorder, or neurological or memory complaints thought to have psychological or psychiatric causation following local secondary assessment
- Neurological sleep disorders (except chronic insomnia)
We do not routinely see patients whose primary problem is:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Pain/Fibromyalgia
- Personality Disorder
- Complex behavioural problems
- Non-neurological somatoform conditions
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Chronic Insomnia
- Long term consequences of traumatic brain injury
How to refer
GP’s in England please refer using use the electronic referrals system.
If referring from elsewhere, or from secondary care please write a referral letter.