NEAD is a condition which presents mainly as collapses or episodes of unconsciousness, which are frequently mistaken for epilepsy.
NEAD can exist alongside or in absence of epilepsy, thus requiring the need for detailed psychological assessment and treatment.
- 20% of "intractable epilepsy“
- But 20% of frontal epilepsies misdiagnosed as NEAD
- 50% of “Status Epilepticus” in A&E is NEAD
- NEAD most commonly occur in people with epilepsy
- Confirm diagnosis with EEG if possible
- Reduce AEDs if possible
- View video/EEG if possible
- Explore psychotherapeutic issues
- CBT and family education