Bristol Bariatric Service (BBS) offers primary and revision bariatric surgery (including laparoscopic gastric band, gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy). We have an established unit since 2003 and have funding for approximately 250 primary operations per year.
Bariatric Surgery can be considered as a possible treatment option for people with obesity when:
- BMI >40 kg/m2 or person with BMI 35-40 kg/m2 who has other significant disease that could be improved if they lost weight (e.g. type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, obstructive sleep apnoea, Benign Intracranial Hypertension etc.).
- All appropriate non-surgical measures have been tried but the person has not achieved or maintained adequate, clinically beneficial weight loss.
- The person has been receiving or will receive intensive management in a Tier 3 service (WAMS).
- The person is generally fit for anaesthesia and surgery.
- The person commits to the need for long term follow up.
- Bariatric surgery is the option of choice (instead of lifestyle interventions or drug treatment) for adults with a BMI of > 50 kg/m2 when other interventions have not been effective.
- Patients with a BMI >35 kg/m2 who have recent-onset type 2 diabetes should be offered an expedited assessment for bariatric surgery as long as they are also receiving or will receive assessment in a Tier 3 service (WAMS).
- Consider an assessment for bariatric surgery for people with BMI 30-35 kg/m2 who have recent onset type 2 diabetes as long as they are also receiving or will receive assessment in a Tier 3 service (WAMS).
- Consider an assessment for bariatric surgery for people of Asian family origin who have recent onset type 2 diabetes at a lower BMI than other populations as long as they are also receiving or will receive assessment in a Tier 3 service (WAMS).
We will endeavour to assess, investigate and treat patients as soon as possible, and keep you fully informed of their progress.
We accept referrals from:
- Primary care via letter detailing BMI and co morbidities.
These should be sent to: