Bristol Communication Aid Service Referral

BCAS, as one of 15 national specialised services, is able to carry our Augmentative and Alternative Assessments. We receive funding from NHS England to meet the needs of both children and adults in the South West of England, working in conjunction with Dame Hannah Rogers Trust in Devon.

Who can refer?

Referrals to BCAS will only be accepted from speech and language therapists working with people with communication difficulties.

If you do not have a speech and language therapist involved with your care, then please contact your GP who can refer you to your local service.

How do I refer?

All referrals should be made using the appropriate referral form which must be fully completed and accompanied by a short video and preferably by any relevant and current reports. Please note that if you are re-referring your patient, but they have not been seen by our service for more than 3 years please complete the full referral form to give us more up to date information to aid our assessment.


If mounting only is required please use the following referral form:

Please note: we are unable to process any referrals that do not have the GP details or patients NHS number. Any referrals received without these details will be rejected.

What about funding?

People who meet the criteria for a specialist assessment will have their communication aid assessment and any equipment identified at the end of the assessment funded by BCAS.

To find out more about the criteria visit

Our service is nationally commissioned by NHS England, and the service specification can also be seen at