The Acute Oncology Service is in place to ensure that cancer patients at North Bristol NHS Trust have a smoother and more efficient care pathway when they are admitted for an acute complication of their cancer, their treatment or are newly diagnosed during an acute episode of illness.
We help patients with cancer who are acutely unwell due to:
- Complications of their treatment e.g. Chemotherapy or Radiotherapy
- Complications of their cancer
- A new diagnosis of cancer where the primary is unknown
The Acute Oncology Team can:
- Provide advice over the phone if you are experiencing complications due to your cancer or treatment
- Offer support and advice for you and your family to help you make decisions about your treatment during the acute episode of illness
- Give advice to other healthcare professionals looking after you
- Help facilitate an early discharge from hospital wherever possible
- Work with colleagues in the community to avoid unnecessary hospital admissions
- Act as a point of contact for the patient and other healthcare professionals during an acute episode of illness
The Acute Oncology Team consists of Acute Oncology and Haematology nurse specialists and visiting Consultant Clinical Oncologists.