North Bristol NHS Trust delivers the vascular service for the 1.12 million people of Bristol, North Somerset, Bath, North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Wiltshire. Formed in 2014, the major arterial centre (MAC) for the network is Southmead Hospital.
The network is responsible for the delivery of both elective and emergency vascular care. This includes all arterial surgery for the area, and:
- Varicose vein treatments
- Diabetic foot care
- Renal access
In addition, the network provides complex endovascular services for the 3.5 million people of the South West.
The Major Arterial Centre provides 24 hours a day, seven day a week service for vascular surgery and interventional radiology. We have a 32-bedded vascular ward in the Brunel building on level 2, gate 33B, Southmead Hospital and both a dedicated operating theatre and hybrid theatre available for the vascular service.
Vascular surgery has been recognised as leading service at North Bristol NHS Trust alongside our regional trauma, renal, neurosurgery and plastics units. This position will be further strengthened with the appointment by the University of Bristol of Prof Robert Hinchliffe as Clinical Professor of Vascular Surgery.
The model of care is for the ‘front door’ of the vascular service to be provided the patient’s local hospital where they can consult with a vascular specialist and have outpatient care and imaging. Both inpatient care requiring a vascular multi-disciplinary team and emergency care are delivered from the major arterial centre (MAC) for the network in the Brunel Building at Southmead Hospital, Bristol (North Bristol NHS Trust).
- Southmead Hospital: Major Arterial Centre, Major Trauma Centre and regional Renal & Transplant Unit
- Bristol Royal Infirmary: Day case angioplasty, Outpatient clinics, Imaging including vascular scientists (CTA/MRA/Duplex)
- Bristol Heart Institute: Thoracic stenting - joint service with UH Bristol FT
- Royal United Hospital Bath: Day case angioplasty, Outpatient clinics, Imaging including vascular scientists (CTA/MRA/Duplex)
- Weston General Hospital: Outpatient clinics, Imaging including visiting vascular scientists (CTA/MRA/Duplex)
There are dedicated vascular laboratories at Southmead Hospital, Bristol Royal Infirmary and Royal United Hospital Bath all providing the opportunity for training in vascular ultrasound.
Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland vascularsociety.org.uk
Circulation Foundation (the UK vascular disease charity) circulationfoundation.org.uk