Preparation for your treatment
If you are having a general anaesthetic you must arrange for a responsible adult to take you home and stay with you for 24 hours. Anaesthetic drugs remain in your body for several hours and during this time you will react more slowly.
Remember for at least 24 hours after your procedure, if you had a general anaesthetic:
- You must not drive a car or any other vehicle.
- You should not cook, boil a kettle, or operate machinery.
- You should not drink alcohol or take sleeping tablets.
- You should not take any important legal or financial decisions, or sign any documents.
- You should drink plenty of fluids.
- You may eat what you like – light diet, nothing too greasy or spicy.
- You should take things gently until you feel fully recovered.
Preparing for day surgery using Local Anaesthetic
Even if you are having a local anaesthetic it is recommended to have someone take you home. You must not drive if your mobility is restricted by surgery. The day after your operation a member of the day surgery team may ring you.
Before coming into hospital
If you are unwell before your surgery (e.g. with a cold or ’flu), please ring us for advice. We recommend that you do not smoke for 2 days before your operation.
On the day of your operation, please arrive at the time indicated in your letter.
Eating and drinking
- If your operation is in the morning, do not eat or drink anything, including chewing gum, from midnight the night before. You may drink water until 5.30am.
- If your operation is in the afternoon, have a light breakfast (tea and toast) before 7.30am. You may drink water until 10.30am.
If you have diabetes and have worries about not eating, please ring for advice.
Immediately after your operation
After your operation you will be taken to the recovery area where we will treat any pain or sickness you may experience. You will then be moved to the ward area, where you can rest quietly, and have a drink and a biscuit.
Day Surgery Appointments
If your medical condition changes or you cannot keep your appointment, please let us know immediately.