What is pre-operative assessment?
A pre-operative assessment (POA) ensures that the hospital has a full understanding of your medical history and any ongoing health problems to assess your fitness for surgery and anesthesia.
POA aims to have you as medically fit as possible before you undergo your surgery. This may include arranging additional medical investigations.
If you are found to be medically unfit for a general anesthetic the POA team will ensure that you fully understand the reasons and will liaise with your surgical team and your GP regarding alternative options
POA provides an opportunity for full discussion of your admission, forthcoming surgery and subsequent arrangements for discharge from hospital to home.
Start preparing for your operation at Southmead Hospital by completing an online health questionnaire called Synopsis Home. When submitting, choose North Bristol.
You will need to create an account before completing the questionnaire. Registering is easy and all you need is your email address and a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or PC to fill in your information.
Please contact 0117 414 5616 or 0117 4140 637 if you have any queries or are unable to complete the questionnaire.
During your appointment your blood pressure, height and weight will be checked by one our Health Care Assistants, You may also have additional tests carried out as appropriate for example,
- Swabs for MRSA (methecillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) a type of bacteria that can cause infections. Any infection must be treated before you can have surgery
- Blood tests
- Urine test (to test for infections, which must be treated before you can have surgery)
- A physical examination, this may require to partially undress and lie down on the examination couch. This examination will be performed by the nurse, who will listen to your heart and lungs
- ECG (a tracing of the activity of your heart)
Who will I see at my POA appointment?
- Pre-operative Assessment Nurse
- Health Care Assistant
- Anaesthetists (If required)
- Pharmacist (if required)
COVID-19 Appointment Guidelines
We are working hard to keep our staff and patients safe – please help us by following the information provided in this leaflet.
If you, or anyone in your household, tests positive or develops coronavirus symptoms, please phone the number on your appointment letter to rearrange your appointment.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough, shortness of breath or any flu like symptoms
- Loss of sense of taste or smell
Contact the Pre-operative Assessment Clinic
Pre-Operative Assessment Clinic
Women’s and Children’s Quarter
Bristol BS10 5NB
Telephone: 0117 414 0635