A variety of patient information leaflets are available for free from NHS Blood and Transplant and should be given to the appropriate patients prior to transfusion as listed below:
N.B. Patient information leaflets should be given retrospectively prior to discharge if not given to patient prior to transfusion
- Will I need a blood transfusion? – to be given to every patient who may require a red blood cell transfusion
- Information for patients who have received an unexpected blood transfusion – to be given to any patient who did not provide consent for transfusion prior to administration or may not be aware they received a transfusion
- Will I need a platelet transfusion? – to be given to every patient who may require a platelet transfusion
- Will your child need a plasma transfusion? – information for parents of babies and children under the age of 16 who may require fresh frozen plasma
- Information for patients needing irradiated blood – to be given to every patient requiring any irradiated blood product
- Children receiving a blood transfusion? – information for parents of children who may require a blood transfusion (also contains comic / sticker book for the child)
- Will my baby need a blood transfusion? – information for parents of babies who may require a blood transfusion
- Iron in your diet – should be given as appropriate in pre-op assessment clinics
The above leaflets are available in a variety of different languages and may be downloaded here.
Please contact the Blood Transfusion Laboratory (ext: 48350) or Karen Mead (ext: 48358) for more information and ordering details.
North Bristol NHS Trust Specific Leaflet:
An NBT specific patient information leaflet is available and should be given to the appropriate patients as listed below:
- Advice Following a Blood Transfusion – information for patients who are transfused and discharged on the same day