Point of Care
Point of care testing (POCT), also known as extra-laboratory testing or Near Patient Testing (NPT), refers to any analytical test performed for or by a patient outside the conventional laboratory setting.
The Point of Care Testing Team provides support for many POCT applications to North Bristol NHS Trust.
The service encompasses:
- Advice on the selection and procurement of POCT equipment.
- Maintenance and servicing of blood gas analysers across the Trust.
- Replacement and servicing of blood glucose meters.
- Supply of consumables for blood glucose meters including quality control solutions, batteries, QC log books and user manuals.
- Supply of Pregnancy testing kits.
- Training in blood gas analysis, blood glucose analysis, capillary blood collection, urinalysis, faecal occult blood analysis and pregnancy testing.
- Training materials for urine analysis, faecal occult blood analysis and pregnancy testing.
- External Quality Assurance schemes for blood glucose and some other POCT tests.
- Support for Haematology analysers situated in Out Patients departments and Operating Theatres.