Fractured humerus advice
If you have a fractured humerus you will have a collar and cuff which may include a plaster or brace depending on where the fracture is.
- Do not put pillows, cushions or any support under your elbow as this will prevent gravity from doing its job of keeping the broken bone in alignment.
- Do not try and put the arm into clothing as the movement may move the bone. You can keep the arm under clothing.
- Do not take the collar and cuff off unless you are instructed by the doctor of physio.
- Do take the brace off daily to wash and check the skin.
- Do flex and extend your wrist (move up and down).
- Do sit yourself up in the bed (with your arm hanging for gravity to do its job) as lying down will be very uncomfortable and may move the bone in the wrong direction.
(Bean bags are a great support for sitting up as pillows move when you move).
How to contact us
Gate 12, Plaster room
Southmead Rd, Westbury-on-Trym
Bristol, BS10 5NB
Monday to Friday: 8.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays: 8.30am - 1.30pm
Emergency department: 0117 414 4100
If you or the individual you are caring for need support reading this leaflet please ask a member of staff for advice.
© North Bristol NHS Trust. This edition published April 2022. Review due April 2024. NBT003218