A wide range of endocrine and metabolic conditions are seen, including:
- Thyroid disease – thyrotoxicosis, complicated hypothyroidism, unexplained abnormal thyroid function tests, thyroid goitres & nodules if abnormal thyroid function.
- Calcium disorders and metabolic bone disease (other than osteoporosis).
- Vitamin D deficiency.
- Fluid balance & electrolyte disturbances (excluding renal failure): polyuria/polydipsia (not in diabetes), hyper/hypokalaemia, hyper/hyponatraemia, hypomagnasaemia.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome, oligo-amenorrhea, hirsutism, virilisation, male & female hypogonadism, gynaecomastia, galactorrhea, delayed puberty from age 16years and older,
growth problems – short or tall stature.
- Pituitary disease: pituitary tumour, hypopituitarism, Cushing’s disease, acromegaly, prolactinoma, hyperprolactinaemia.
- Endocrine hypertension: mineralocorticoid hypertension, Conn’s sysndrome, phaeochromocytoma.
- Adrenal disease: Cushing’s syndrome, adrenal tumour / incidentaloma, hypoadrenalism, Addison’s disease.
- Hypoglycaemia not in diabetes.
- Sweating, flushing, turns suspected of having an endocrine cause.
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia.
The Endocrine Service works closely with a number of other specialties to provide a multi-disciplinary service for relevant patients with specialist endocrine conditions:
- Joint pituitary clinic, held fortnightly with pituitary neurosurgeons, for review of patients who may need pituitary surgery.
- Joint thyroid/ parathyroid clinic, held fortnightly with endocrine surgeons, for review of complex patients with thyroid or parathyroid problems.
- Diabetes/ endocrine antenatal clinic, held weekly with obstetricians, for review of pregnant women with endocrine (and diabetes) problems that require joint assessment.
- Joint adrenal clinic, held weekly with urological surgeons who provide adrenal surgery, for review of patients with adrenal disease who may require surgery.
- Endocrinology/ chemical pathology MDT (monthly), to discuss complex endocrine investigations and difficult to interpret endocrine tests
- A full range of dynamic endocrine tests are performed on the Medical Day Care unit.
Contact Diabetes & Endocrinology
Telephone: 0117 414 6421
0117 414 6422