Multiprofessional General Diabetes Clinics
The objective of the multiprofessional general diabetes clinics is problem solving in diabetes care rather than routine care of uncomplicated diabetes.
Indications for referral to these clinics include
- Type 2 diabetes on maximal oral hypoglycaemic therapy requiring assessment for insulin therapy e.g. in age < 80 failure to achieve HbA1c < 7.5% despite maximal lifestyle measures, in age > 80 symptomatic diabetes.
- In type 1 or insulin treated type 2 diabetes, failure to achieve glycaemic targets despite all reasonable attempts.
- Recurrent or severe hypoglycaemia, hypoglycaemia unawareness.
- Diabetes due to other causes e.g. pancreatitis, genetic syndromes.
- Concerns about diagnosis or classification of diabetes.
- Poorly controlled blood pressure in diabetes despite three or more medications.
- Lipid problems in diabetes.
- Obesity in diabetes.
- Neurological problems in diabetes including painful neuropathy.
- Renal impairment, proteinuria & nephropathy in diabetes.
- Medication problems in diabetes e.g. multiple intolerance of oral agents, insulin allergy
- Psychosocial or other issues coping with diabetes.