The Department of Neuropathology is based in the Pathology Sciences Building on the Southmead site of North Bristol NHS Trust
The Head of Department is Dr Kathreena Kurian.
The department provides a UKAS accredited diagnostic neuropathology service (including nerve and muscle biopsies), for the Bristol area and regional hospitals, including those from the private sector. It also provides a referral service both nationally and internationally.
The following services are provided by the department:
- Clinical neuropathology support for neuroscience specialities
- Neurosurgical biopsy histology, including fully integrated reports with molecular biology
- Diagnostic pathology of muscle and nerve, including in-house biopsy facilities
- Neuropathology autopsies
- Macroscopic assessment of fixed brain and spinal cord specimens
- Post-mortem neurohistology including work for H.M. Coroner and forensic service
- Cerebrospinal fluid cytology
For further information, download:
Neuropathology request forms are available from the Neuropathology Department and should be completed in full.
Each request received by the laboratory is considered an agreement between the requestor and laboratory for provision of Neuropathology Services.
Refer to the Neuropathology Department User Manual for further details on requesting tests.
Reports are currently available on ICE and will be sent by secure email to the requesting Clinician. A hard copy of reports can be obtained by telephoning the departmental secretarial team.