What we do
In vascular testing we carry out investigations on people who are suspected of having diseases of the circulation (vascular diseases).
All the tests performed are non-invasive ultrasound tests. By using sound waves the ultrasound machine can form images of the inside of your body and allows measurements of the blood flow. Vascular ultrasound involves creating images of the blood vessels within your body.
Some patients will be referred for a scan which gives a picture on a screen, often called a Duplex Scan.
You also may be referred for a test which involves listening to the blood flow and taking pressure measurements at the ankle and arm, often called a Doppler test.
The results from these tests can help medical professionals confirm a diagnosis and plan your treatment.
We diagnose and monitor a wide range of conditions in vascular testing. The main conditions we investigate are:
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Varicose veins
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
Words you may hear during the scan
Below are a selection of words that you may hear during the scan.
- Artery - This is the blood vessel that takes the blood from your heart to the various organs and muscles in your body.
- Vein - This is the blood vessel that returns the blood from your organs and muscles back to your heart.
- Patent - This means that the artery or vein is open and clear for the blood flow.
- Stenosis - This means a narrowing within a segment of one of your blood vessels.
- Occluded - This means there is a segment of one of your blood vessels that is completely blocked.
- Thrombus - This is usually found in the veins and is where the blood has become congealed and is creating an obstruction.
- Collateral branch - This is a route that the blood is taking to avoid a blockage (occlusion) or narrowing (stenosis).
- Competent - This means that the vein that we are looking at is working as expected.
- Incompetent - This means that the vein that we are looking at is no longer functioning correctly and is causing the blood to drain in the wrong direction.
- Fistula – This is the connection created between the artery and vein to allow dialysis.