We are increasingly reviewing patients away from the hospital setting, known as a remote appointment. This may be either using video calling software called Attend Anywhere, by telephone or virtually (which means we look at your clinical information but do not necessarily need to speak to you).
Attending your appointment via video
Where appropriate, you can attend your consultation online via a video call. Video calling is as convenient as a phone call, with the added value of face-to-face communication. It can save you time and money, and brings your care closer to home.
Where do I go to attend my appointment?
Instead of travelling to your appointment, you enter the clinic’s online waiting area. The health service is notified when you arrive, and your clinician will join you when ready.
There is no need to create an account. No information you enter is stored.
What do I need to make a video call?
- A good connection to the internet If you can watch a video online (e.g. YouTube) you can make a video call.
- A private, well-lit area where you will not be disturbed during the consultation.
- One of these:
- Google Chrome web browser on a desktop or laptop, or on an Android tablet or smartphone.
- Safari web browser on an Apple iMac, MacBook, iPad, or iPhone.
- Web-camera, speakers and microphone already built into laptops or mobile devices.
Is it secure?
Video calls are secure; your privacy is protected.
You have your own private video room that only authorised clinicians can enter.
How much internet data will I use?
You don’t use any data while waiting for a clinician to join you.
A video call uses a similar amount of data to Skype® or FaceTime®.
Smartphone and tablet users If you can, connect to a home or work Wi-Fi network to avoid using your mobile data allowance.
How much does a video call cost?
The video call is free (except for your internet usage).
Get ready to make video calls
Make sure that you use one of the following web browsers
Windows 7+, Android 5.1+, MacOS, 10.11+, iPadOS 13+
MacOS 10.12+, iOS 11.4+, iPadOS 13+
- On this web page, https://nhs.vc/nbt-rheumatology, click the Start video call button and follow instructions.
- Wait in your own private video room.
- Your healthcare provider sees you arrive in the waiting area queue...
- ...and joins you in your video room when they are ready.