Acute Burns Clinic (ABC)
The Acute Burns Clinic (ABC) is next to the burns unit on Gate 33A, Level 2, Brunel Building (in the pink zone).
When visiting this clinic please enter the Burns Unit and speak to the receptionist who will ask you to take a seat in the waiting area just outside the ward. There is limited space so please try to avoid bringing children where possible and limit additional family members.
The ABC offers appointments daily, seeing burns patients referred to the service by:
- Emergency Departments
- Minor Injury Units.
The clinic offers the ability to:
- Provide specialist assessment and treatment of new burn injuries
- Provide dressing changes which are more difficult to perform in the community because they take time or require specialist pain relief such as Entonox
- Shower your burns if required
- Take an image of your burn with a Laser Doppler Imager (LDI) or a photograph if required. This can provide information to support the decision making process on how best to manage your injury
- Complex burns injury multi-disciplinary team (MDT) review on a Monday afternoon 2pm-3.30pm
- Allow reviews by others members of the burns team for example Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists or Clinical Psychologist
- Allow you to take part in some of the additional work done in the department such as research and evaluations.