Nutrition & Dietetics Neurology
The dietitians at North Bristol NHS Trust provide a neurology clinic at Southmead Hospital and Cossham Hospital, twice per month on Thursday afternoons. Referrals are received from the neurology consultants.
Patients who attend this clinic are likely to have been diagnosed with one of the following neurological conditions:
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Huntingdon’s Disease
- Motor Neurone Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP)
- Wilson’s Disease
The dietitian’s role is to assess, educate and support.
When you attend your appointment the specialist neurology dietitian will:
- Ask you about your medical condition, medications, investigations and symptoms
- Assess your weight and monitor weight changes
- Assess your current diet and fluid intake, ensuring that any nutritional deficiences are identified
- Advise on methods of promoting/reducing weight or reducing symptoms
- Recommend nutritional supplementation as appropriate
- Provide information on alternative methods of feeding such as via a gastrostomy (PEG/RIG) tube
- Provide a link between you, your GP, allied health professional and consultant
Further information can be found at the British Dietetic Association website.